Keeping you up to date with events, new products and news from Barefoot Studio and team Nordic Walk and newest baby - Barefoot Nordic Walking Club!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dawn's first blog!!!

Well, I’m long overdue to write a contribution to this blog, but better late than never as they say!!

We have a month to go until the 4 Inns walk and the whole team is feeling exited anticipation. I tend to O.D. on the excitement factor…an unfortunate character defect, which thankfully the rest of the team are willing to be fabulously forgiving about!!

Back in September when Captain K. first issued us with our training schedule we knew we would be having a trial run of the course, and last weekend we did just that. We knew this weekend would be crucial preparation. Our navigational decisions have to be made well in advance of the big day to avoid wasting any time. I have to confess that navigation is not really my strong point. As someone who has been known to get lost in a department store I don’t feel I have the necessary skills to bring to the group. (Recipe for Mushroom Wellington anyone??)

Any how, off we went to the beautiful Peak district to suss out the course and bravely face the unknown, picking up Karen’s brother David en route, as he has taken part in the race twice, brave man. Brave for doing the race twice, oh yes, but even braver for being willing to put up with us four chicks for the weekend!! Our trusty team supporter, driver and doughnut fetcher AL got us to the youth hostel safe and sound and pumped full of sugar and caffeine. (Ta Al!!) By early Saturday we were raring to go!!

Saturday was hard work. We had anticipated that the terrain would be on a par with the Black Mountains here in Wales, but it was much more challenging. It was hard work, it was muddy and peaty and exhausting and cold and wet. But Oh! My! God! It was beautiful!!

True to form I was the first one to fall into a peat bog. Up to my thighs in the stuff but gleefully happy none the less. (Never got dirty as a kid!!) Thanks to Karen’s David my micro-navigation phobia is on the mend and I can now comfortably watch Captain K and Sue do things with a map and compass without breaking into a sweat. Excellent progress!! (Forever- in debt to you David!!)

Whilst courageously negotiating ourselves around the moorland’s I was given the important job of helping our lovely Paula count metres. This proved very handy in keeping me focussed as I can tend to get a bit blissed out in the wilds and skip along happily singing to self….hence the falling into the peat bog. Captain K and Sue and Paula were all fabulous and well – at least I was happy. The views were breathtaking. Far too stunning for me to describe and something I will never forget. Awesome!!

Saturday night was pretty awesome too as Captain K made an uncharacteristic deviation from the rules and allowed her team to have some booze. Yey!! I had two pints for rehydration purposes of course, and started to feel like I was on holiday!!

Sunday we did part two, over Kinder Scout. For months this part of the course has filled us with apprehension. Just saying the name of the place was enough for me to want to retreat to a duvet. But by now I had consumed so many stimulants I felt oddly enthusiastic. Bring it on!!

It went up and up and then it went up some more. Following David’s instructions we were searching for a path that we would `only see when we were on top of it’. And so up we went. Part of our training involves the discipline of walking as a team; however no amount of `Karen dead eye’ was going to prevent me getting up that mountain in great haste. I had only two hours sleep and the higher we got the weaker my knees became as vertigo kicked in. We eventually found what David convinced us was a path and onwards and upwards we went.

It was soooooo worth it. The scenery took my breath form me. It didn’t matter that it was freezing and wet. I have never seen such beauty. I could have stayed there all day, but had to be content with having a quick wee and a cereal bar as we had a schedule to stick too.

Alan was fab. Meeting us at what will be our checkpoints with hot drinks and snacks. Sue was brilliant with her boundless possitivity. Karen was amazing leading us on and keeping the team spirits up, as was Paula who has this tremendous gift of making sure we all feel safe, happy and have something yummy to cook in the week. And as for David who selflessly gave us his weekend and most importantly believes we can, and will accomplish this…. we are not worthy. Thankyou!!

It’s getting close now. March will be an alcohol free, my body is a temple month, and we are almost there. Keep in mind that in spite of all the fun we are having, beauty we are seeing and new skills we are learning, our motivation is to raise money for Macmillan Nurses. All of the team have seen the awfulness of cancer up close, and are passionate about raising money for Macmillan. Macmillan nurses help those facing the unimaginable to cope with dignity and strength. Please, please make a donation to our appeal today; you will be doing a great thing.

Till next time
X Dawn Lee

No comments: